Saturday, July 26, 2008

Update from the Isleys

Hello Fellow Tekoa Alumni:
Before I begin let me introduce myself for those of you wondering who you are reading about... I am Carrie "Henson" Isley. I worked at Tekoa in '95,'96,'97, '98, and '00. I have very good memories from those years. My favorite weeks were Special Friends weeks and Day Camp (believe it or not). I remember wearing the infamous Hawaiian shirts with my brother Chris, DeHarde, Zac G, and I believe someone else had one but my memory escapes me. I remember countless Talent Show moments like: DeHarde singing that old Lemonheads' song with lyrics that went, "If I was a booger would you pick your nose" or something like that. I remember the Tekoa version of Margaritaville that my brother and I wrote. I remember doing the Riverdance intro for the Talent Show with Clint. Gosh I could go on and on...But the best thing about my whole Tekoa experience was the summer of 2000 when I met the love of my life - John Isley. July 7, 2000 John asked me out after the Barn Dance at Montreat. I was so shocked that a man of his caliber would be interested in me. He was the first guy to ever pursue me with such honor and respect. I remember that I could hardly sleep that night and was so bummed that I left the next day for my week off! When I got back to camp I had to pinch myself that he really did ask to date me. Our first date was memorable. We went to downtown Hendersonville and ate at some restaurant that served me (no lie) Stoffer's microwaved lasagna (Hello!!). Then we went to the Dancing Bear and tried on silly costumes and John sang "My Little Buttercup" from the Three Amigos while wearing a Mariachi hat. We ate ice cream at the old Pharmacy shop (forget what the new name is now). Two years later John asked me to marry him at the "H" Tree. Now 8 years later we have been missionaries in Romania, serve a church here in Waxhaw NC and have a beautiful daughter named Elizabeth Faith. God has really blessed us. I did a lot of growing up from when I started as a naive and impressionable CIT (or TIC) to the person I became my last summer there as Recreation Director. Tekoa helped shape me and I still to this day feel so at home when I am up there with our church family for retreats.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

To see more cute pics of our beautiful baby girl, check out our family blog:

http://isleys.blogspot.com

John Isley
AKA Macho Jr.

David Hampton: said...

That is so cool that you proposed under the H Tree,John. Usedto tell my campers a story how the H Tree was created that I think Ruth told me at one time, that a young couple tiedtwo pine boughs together with a red ribbon as a symbol of their undying love. Their love, and the knot, was so strong that the two trees grew together as one, and that the ribbon is encased in the conjoined limb to this day.

Carrie said...

WOW! I think i heard that too. It is sweet to hear it again. Hope you are doing well Country and thanks for starting this blog.