Monday, July 14, 2008

Special Friends Week



One of the many amazing experiences I had as a counselor at Tekoa was when I helped with Special Friends Week, or MH Week (I think they now call it Barnabas). Being a counselor for the mentally handicapped isn't for everyone, to be sure. It required a lot of patience, but was also very rewarding. Here are guys and girls who normally spent their year in a special care facility or a group home. Some had jobs, some were more high care, but all of them looked forward to coming to Camp Tekoa more than any camper, I believe. The first camper I had was named Scott (on the left of the first photo). He loved iced tea. I also took care of another camper named Ricky (on the right of the first photo -- taken in 1993). He liked asking people's names, and then spelling it for you. It seemed like he could spell any word you gave him. It might have taken him a minute to do it, but he was diligent. Some of the highlights of their week at camp I think were going to Carl Sandburg's home and watching Rootabaga Stories and petting the goats. The second photo is from the summer of '97 when we took them to Holme's State Forest to see the "Talking Trees." From top row L to R: Steve (my camper that year) with two other campers -- if anyone remembers names, please comment!), bottom row: April Shamel, Brooks Ann, and ________ (another counselor who's name escapes me, but was really cool to know). We were sitting and eating our picnic lunch on the rock, I think. I remember another special friend who loved to swim, and each year we'd joke with her and tell her that they drained Tekoa lake. After a few seconds she'd realize we were teasing and just break out in a big grin. I can't remember her name, but she talked a mile a minute.
Today, many staff alumni come back for this one week to volunteer and be a counselor or resource person. One of these days when my children get a little older, I might do the same.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Country, I will probably get flagged on this one, but as far as my memories of doing MH camp I met my future wife and stayed with you in that hot-house cabin near Redbud. I got two words for you Country, "its sticky!"

Cheers,
Henson

David Hampton: said...

Ha ha! Ah yes, I remember. I don't think that made the summer's Quacky Quote list! I can't remember the name of the cabin. Was it Birch, the one that was infested with ants all the time? It did have that cool little room out on the screened porch. There was another interesting experience I remember where a camper complained about being nauseous, so a counselor gave him Pepto Bismol chewable tablets. But it was ten minutes later when the guy was still gumming them that we all realized he didn't have his dentures in. Bless his heart, a few people had to leave the cabin they were laughing so hard!

mary mo said...

oh, it's good to know that some things never change...MH (barnabas) camp was wonderful this year... ricky is still spellin' and diane (that's her name!) is still drinking sweet tea and getting teased about the lake getting drained. her new big thing is an obsession with buffers...she actually got to buff the dining hall floor this year! :) i love your pictures; the camper in the white shirt on the bench with steve is named judy, by the way! someday when i figure all this blog stuff out i'll post some pics or something... xo

Brian G. said...

I want to say that the third counselor is named Leigh or Leah.

Brian G. said...

I want to say the third counselor is named Leigh or Leah.