Monday, July 7, 2008

My First Years At Tekoa

I've got tons of pictures, so I thought I would start at the beginning. My first year at Tekoa was actually as a camper, way back in 1987. I was going into the 8th grade, and came with my youth group from Morris Chapel UMC in Walkertown, NC. I remember being nervous because I had so much fun at another church camp in elementary school, I was afraid I wouldn't enjoy it as much. Boy was I wrong. It was the first summer that Jack and Ruth Porter took over the camp as directors. I had never felt so uplifted by the Holy Spirit and my fellow campers in my life. The way Jack and Ruth stressed a focus on Christ and exploring a relationship with Him through outdoor activities and stewardship really appealled to me. So in 1991 as a rising senior in high school I decided to apply for the CIT (Counselor in Training) program. This first picture is of my CIT group and was taken at The Shoals, a popular hiking destination not far from Tekoa property. Shown in the photo are (from front to back) Star Livengood, Jonathan Trollinger, counselor Drake Evans, Aaron Barnes standing (whom I remember singing along with The Little Mermaid soundtrack while working kitchen duty), Candis Vaughn, David DeHarde, Crystal McPhail, Rusty, and Cathy Whitlock (our other counselor), and Kelly who are both standing to the left. The other photo is taken on the porch of the dining hall (I never did get a picture of the old dining hall before it burned in 1989) and are Star, Candis, Crystal, Kelly, and I in the back. For years afterwards I kept this photo on my cork board in college to show to the guys on my dorm floor that I wasn't as dorky as they thought I was, seeing the cute girls I was keeping company with! The last year as a camper in 1990 I had David DeHarde and Candis Vaughn in my senior high group, so I knew them already. I wish I could find more pictures from that first year on staff, but I had one of those old disc cameras that only took 15 pictures, and not very good pictures, so I think most of them were discarded.

2 comments:

candis said...

Yay!! a Tekoa alumni blog!!
Thanks David & Jennie for managing this.

Here's some names to add to that photo: Our female counselor was Cathy Whitlock. Helen Porter also helped - I guess she was the CIT resource, although at the time I did not know that term... (By the way, did you know that Helen is getting married in August?)

The other fellow, with whom you sang the Little Mermaid (love it!) is Aaron. I can't remember his last name.

Man, those were the days... I will have to dig out my old photo album and scan some pics in to post.

I only know how to post a comment, so if you'll help me, I'll do a real post - hopefully before school starts...

candis said...

Barnes!! His last name is Barnes.
Aaron Barnes.