Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Kitchen Duty and the Staff Assistant

It was a given as a staff assistant -- you were going to work in the kitchen. Some staff abhorred it, while others thrived in the steamy, food service environment (David DeHarde and Brian Combs are a few that come to mind). It was a conversion time between C.I.T.'s and being a full-time counselor, though counselors did not have immunity from being pulled into the kitchen on occasion. I was a staff assistant the summer after I graduated from high school, 1992. Ruth was in charge of the kitchen, and ran a tight ship. I learned some things I didn't know, like not to do food prep on the gas burners (gummed them up), or not to drop sharp knives in a sink of soapy water(sliced fingers). It was hard work, but kitchen staff found ways to entertain themselves. I remember on one occasion we made up kitchen dances like The Can Opener or Stir the Grits, or The Bart (Bart was our Hobart dishes sanitizer) and show them off on Wed. dance night, back when Tekoa used to have a Wed. night dance. A few weeks I remember how each kitchen staff member took turns choosing the music. I picked Garth Brooks, and David DeHarde told me he beat his wife and made up lyrics to some of his songs, singing them to me to get on my nerves ("The thunder rolls, the lightning strikes, I beat my wife..."). Of course, I was so easy to tease because I was so darn gullible! We also always found an excuse to go to the walk-in cooler when it got too hot in the kitchen, or the freezer if it were a real scorcher! Of course, that wasn't very energy efficient, and someone would notice the temperature gauge would be too high and know what was going on. I'm sure some Tekoa folks out there have funnier stories to tell than I do, so chime in! The first photo is from the summer of '92 and includes all of the Staff Assistants and C.I.T.'s of that year.


My first year in the kitchen I also learned about the legend of the Ruth Rolls. It was said that Ruth was so thrifty her first few years as kitchen director that she would use the leftover oatmeal and grits from previous breakfasts and add them to a homemade dinner roll recipe of hers, then serve them to campers that evening or the next day. Now, I remember having Ruth Rolls as a camper. I just didn't know that's how she made them. I thought they were pretty good, and I must give her credit for being creative.


The second pic comes from the summer of '96. Cheesing for the camera is Earl Wilson III and Carrie Henson. This was probably taken on the weekend, as they look way too clean and non-sweaty to have just washed a bunch of pans! Earl was mild-mannered, but had a sharp wit about him. He used to eat food dropped in the pig bucket to gross campers out. He would say, "It's all about mind over matter, if you don't mind it doesn't matter."


The third pic also comes from the summer of '96. Kyle (and two other lovely young ladies whose names escape me at the moment) are doing a real dirty job -- cleaning the greasy hood vents from above the ovens behind the dining hall.

The last picture shows Mike Pruitt in a moment of rest on top of the cardboard recycling pile with a few campers of mine. Notice the look of sheer exhaustion in his eyes.

Working in the kitchen was like a rite of passage for staff. You worked behind the scenes, stuck inside while campers and counselors got to play, and never got as much appreciation as you probably should have from other staff. It was a selfless job, but it made me humble, and it also built a camaraderie among many staff members that built lasting friendships. Whatever happened, we could say we survived the kitchen, and had the burns and pruned fingers to prove it!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, so this photo of me laying on top of the cardboard pile reminded me of the last time I was sprawled out on the concrete behind the dining hall door.

Now that intro should get your attention... Remember the pig buckets? It was the end of a long, hot day in the kitchen and we were cleaning up from supper, when I took it upon myself to roll the 500+ pound barrel of decaying sludge out the back door to it's proper storage space. I remember regretfully, denying the assistance of one of my fellow kitchen workers. As I eased the oversize trashcan over the 2 inch door threshold, I felt confident that I could control the beast. I believe that confidence stayed with me until my body was half way submerged in it's curdled insides, in the attempt to hold it steady. I am sure you know now where I ended up, in relation to the pig slop. That was probably the second nastiest mess I ever had to clean up from the kitchen. It followed closely behind Dave Dehardy's 4th of July Chili. Now any task I ever have to clean seems minuscule. Thanks for the good memories! Mike Pruett

David Hampton: said...

Thank you Mike for sharing! I remember how heavy those pig buckets got. Then we started composting our table scraps for the campers in bins behind the staff lot. I don't know which was stinkier, though!

Unknown said...

Wow!! I was browsing around the site because for some reason Tekoa was on my mind! As I was reading about Kitchen Staff it brought back so many memories (the sickening feeling I used to get when the alarm went off in the a.m.) As I read about the kitchen dances I realized that I had the biggest smile on my face because I remember doing that too. As I continued to read the story I scrolled down the page and saw the '92 CIT pic I had to do a double take. There I was sitting on the pier. WOW! Such great memories. Thank You!

Kevin J. Ward said...

Mikes story reminds me of the time I had to sift through the pig bucket for a kids retainer! We poured the bucket out on the old basketball court (now pavilion) during the talent show and sifted through the very full bucket of old food scraps!
We finally found it, washed it and gave it back to the camper!
He didn't even ask if we washed it, just popped it back in his mouth and said thanks! ha ha
Kevin